As environmental sustainability becomes an increasingly important factor in many industries, businesses must start looking at the long-term impact of their operations on the world around them. An area that’s often overlooked but can have a significant environmental impact is using industrial washing systems.
From the release of wastewater to destructive air emissions, even high-efficiency models may have a larger overall effect on the environment than some users expect. To give you a better idea, check out this comprehensive overview on how industrial washer machines impact our natural resources. At the same time, discover some lesser-known techniques that can mitigate them.
Solvents Used in an Industrial Washing Machine
Solvents used in an industrial washer lead to significant hazardous waste generation, air emissions, and wastewater discharge. It can lead to a substantial negative impact on the environment, threatening the health and well-being of humans and wildlife.
Solvents and other chemicals used by industrial washing systems include:
- Organic Solvents: These are used to remove oil-based contaminants.
- Caustic Solutions: These dissolve grease, oil, and protein-based deposits
- Acid Cleaners: Examples of acid cleaners include nitric and sulfuric acids to remove oxidation scale and rust from metals effectively.
- Alkaline Cleaners: These aqueous solutions can seamlessly remove oily and solid soils in heated soak tanks.
- Abrasives: Various abrasives are employed to create a smoother surface by removing rust, oxides, and burrs.
Utilizing the most appropriate cleaning technique in your industrial parts washing operation is necessary to lessen the devastating effects of solvents to the environment. Fortunately, you can do your part to reduce environmental impact in many practical ways.
Environmental Impact of Solvents and How to Minimize It
An industrial washing service will use solvents because they’re readily available and more advantageous. However, these solvents can have a detrimental effect on the environment, especially on water. Although the Earth is composed of 70% water, freshwater is scarce since the Earth only has 3% of it. That said, knowing how to minimize water consumption is imperative.
When using an industrial washing machine, there are plenty of ways you can lessen your ecological footprint without sacrificing the quality of your wash. Here are some of them:
Reduce contamination and surface impurities
Parts and components collect high amounts of contaminants. These may come from soils applied by manufacturers during various manufacturing phases. Examples include coolant, stamping fluids, and inhibitors. The following techniques can help you reduce contaminants before using an industrial washer:
- Use recyclable protective coatings
- Pre-cleaning parts
- Incorporate pre-board chillers
- De-water solvent
- Avoid overloading solvent dip tanks
Lessen water usage
Solvent-based cleaning requires more water use. Identifying your water usage level can help you incorporate effective strategies that can help cut back on the amount of water you use during industrial washer machine operations:
- Cascade rinsing by reusing water from previous rinsing operation
- Install fog nozzles
- Utilize high-pressure spray nozzles
Decrease solvent use
High percentages of hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are utilized in industrial washing systems. Diminishing your solvent use can help decrease the overall emissions released into the air. You can achieve this through the following methods:
- Increasing free board space in tanks
- Schedule jobs in batches to lower frequent cleaning
- Repair leaks after careful inspections
- Consolidate cold cleaning with vapor degreasing
- Place lids or silhouettes on tanks when not used to prevent more significant vapor loss reductions
Choose a Customized Industrial Washing Machine to Eliminate Environmental Impact
Customizing your industrial washing systems with eco-friendly features can lessen your environmental impact. Additionally, it can help you save money and maintain the level of cleanliness you require. Therefore, working with an industrial washing service manufacturer like Quality Finishing Systems can greatly decrease your carbon footprint and enhance your sustainability initiatives.
Ready to kickstart your project? Contact us today to learn more about our superior-quality industrial parts washers. Our team can find a cost-effective solution tailored to your needs!